Professor David W. Denning MB BS FRCP FRCPath DCH FMedSci
Professor of Infectious Diseases in Global Health and Consultant in Infectious Diseases and Medical Mycology, Wythenshawe Hospital and University of Manchester and President of the Global Action Fund for Fungal Infections.
Graduate of Guy’s Hospital, University of London, 1980. Clinical training in internal medicine, infectious diseases, microbiology, paediatrics and haematology in London, Glasgow and California (1980-1990). Research training at the MRC Clinical Research Centre, Harrow, UK (1985-87) and Stanford University, California, USA (1987-1990). Granted a personal chair by Manchester University in 2005.
His clinical interests are in fungal diseases, immunocompromised patients and complex hospital infection problems.
His research interests relate to antifungal susceptibility testing and resistance, pathogenesis of invasive aspergillosis, clinical studies of antifungal agents, Aspergillus genomics and the burden of fungal infections globally and in different countries.
In addition to continuing clinical practice and research, He was instrumental in starting a biotechnology company called F2G. F2G has identified several new promising antifungal drug candidates , one of which is shortly to be studied in human volunteers. He retains a very small number of F2G shares, but no longer consult for it.
In 2006, He founded Myconostica, a molecular diagnostics spin-out of The University of Manchester. Myconostica developed and commercialised rapid real-time molecular diagnostic tests for Aspergillus and Pneumocystis, before being acquired by Lab21 in May 2011. IÂ advise Trinity Biotech (who now handle Myconostica products) on clinical aspects of fungal diagnosis as a consultantI also advise T2 Biosystems (diagnostics), GSK (Vaccines) and give talks on behalf of Astellas, Pfizer and Gilead. In 2013,I became President of the Global Action Fund for Fungal infections.
Key contributions to the literature:
1. Denning DW, Clemons KV, Hanson LH, Stevens DA. Restriction endonuclase analysis of total cellular DNA of Aspergillus fumigatus isolates of geographically and epidemiologically diverse origin. J Infect Dis 1990; 162: 1151-1158.
2. Denning DW, Stevens DA. Antifungal and surgical treatment of invasive aspergillosis: review of 2121 published cases. Rev Infect Dis 1990; 12: 1147-1201.
3. Denning DW, Follansbee S, Scolaro M, Norris S, Edelstein D, Stevens DA. Pulmonary aspergillosis in AIDS. N Engl J Med 1991; 324: 654-662.
4. Birch M, Robson G, Law D, Denning DW. Evidence of multiple phospholipase activities ofAspergillus fumigatus. Infect Immun 1996;64:751-755.
5. Denning DW, Venkateswarlu K, Oakley K, Anderson MJ, Manning NJ, Stevens DA, Warnock DW, Kelly SL. Itraconazole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus. Antimicrob Ag Chemother 1997; 41: 1364-1368.
6. Verweij PE, Denning DW. The challenge of invasive aspergillosis: Increasing numbers in diverse patient groups. Int J Infect Dis 1997;2:61-63.
7. Denning DW. Invasive aspergillosis. Clin Infect Dis 1998;26:781-805.
8. Stevens DA, Kan VL, Judson MA, Morrison VA, Dummer S, Denning DW, Bennett JE, Walsh TJ, Patterson TF, Pankey GA. Practice guidelines for diseases caused by Aspergillus. Clin Infect Dis2000; 30: 6696-709
9. Brookman JL, Denning DW. Molecular genetics in Aspergillus fumigatus. Curr Op Microbiol2000;3:468-474.
10. Moore CB, Sayers N, Mosquero J, Slaven J, Denning DW. Antifungal drug resistance in Aspergillus.J Infection 2000;41:203-220.
11. Ascioglu S, Rex JH, de Pauw B,, Bennett JE, Bille J, Crokaert F, Denning DW, Donnelly JP, Edwards JE, Erjavec Z, Fiere D, Lortholary O, Maertens J, Meis JF, Patterson T, Ritter J, Selleslag D, Stevens DA, Walsh TJ. Defining opportunistic invasive fungal infections in immunocompromised patients with cancer: An international consensus. Clin Infect Dis 2002:34:7-14.
12. Herbrecht R, Denning DW, Patterson TF, Bennett JE, Greene RE, Oestmann JW, Kern W, Marr KA, Ribaud P, Lortholary O,Sylvester R, de Pauw B, Rubin RH, Wingard JR, Stark PS, Durand C, Caillot D, Thiel E, Chandrasekar PH, Hodges MR, Schlamm HT, Troke PF. Randomised comparison of voriconazole and amphotericin B in primary therapy of invasive aspergillosis. N Engl J Med2002;347:408-15.
13. Denning DW, Riniotis K, Dobrashian R, Sambatakou H. Chronic cavitary and fibrosing pulmonary and pleural aspergillosis: Case series, proposed nomenclature and review. Clin Infect Dis2003;37 (Suppl 3):S265-80.
14. Boyd AE, Modi S, Howard SJ, Moore CB, Keevil BG, Denning DW. Adverse reactions to voriconazole. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 Oct 15;39(8):1241-4.
15. Maertens J, Raad I, Petrikkos G, Boogaerts M, Selleslag D, Petersen FB, Sable CA, Kartsonis NA, Ngai A, Taylor A, Patterson TF, Denning DW, Walsh TJ; Caspofungin Salvage Aspergillosis Study Group. Efficacy and safety of caspofungin for treatment of invasive aspergillosis in patients refractory to or intolerant of conventional antifungal therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2004 Dec 1;39(11):1563-71.
16. O’Driscoll BR, Hopkinson LC, Denning DW. Mold sensitization is common amongst patients with severe asthma requiring multiple hospital admissions. BMC Pulm Med. 2005 Feb 18;5(1):4.
17. Paoletti M, Rydholm C, Schwier EU, Anderson MJ, Szakacs G, Lutzoni F, Debeaupuis JP, Latge JP, Denning DW, Dyer PS. Evidence for sexuality in the opportunistic fungal pathogen Aspergillus fumigatus. Curr Biol. 2005 Jul 12;15(13):1242-8.
18. Hope WW, Walsh TJ, Denning DW. Laboratory diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Oct;5(10):609-22.
19. Hope WW, Walsh TJ, Denning DW. Related Articles, Links The invasive and saprophytic syndromes due to Aspergillus spp. Med Mycol. 2005 May;43 Suppl 1:S207-38. Review.
20. Nierman W, Pain A, Anderson MJ, … Hall N, Barrell B, Denning DW. Genomic sequence of the pathogenic and allergenic filamentous fungus Aspergillus fumigatus. Nature 2005;438:1151-6.
21. Denning DW, O’Driscoll BR, Powell G, Chew F, Atherton G, Vyas A, Miles J, Morris J, Niven RM. Randomized controlled trial of oral antifungal treatment for severe asthma with fungal sensitisation (SAFS), the FAST study. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2009;179:11-8.
22. Denning DW, Park S, Lass-Florl C, Fraczek MG, Kirwan M, Gore R, Smith J, Bueid A, Bowyer P, Perlin DS. High frequency triazole resistance found in non-culturable Aspergillus fumigatus from lungs of patients with chronic fungal disease. Clin Infect Dis 2011;52:1123-9.
23. Denning DW, Pleuvry A, Cole DC. Global burden of chronic pulmonary aspergillosis as a sequel to tuberculosis. Bull WHO 2011;89:864-72.
24. Brown GD, Denning DW, Gow NAR, Levitz S, Netea M, White T. Human fungal infections: the hidden killers. Sci Transl Med 2012:4:165rv13.
25. Denning DW, Pleuvry A, Cole DC. Global burden of ABPA in adults with asthma and its complication chronic pulmonary aspergillosis. Med Mycol 2013;51:361-70.
26. Baxter CG, Dunn G, Jones AM, Webb K, Gore R, Richardson MD, Denning DW. Classification of aspergillosis in adult cystic fibrosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2103. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 May 29. pii: S0091-6749(13)00598-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2013.04.007
David W. Denning FRCP FRCPath FIDSA FMedSci Professor of Medicine and Medical Mycology Director, National Aspergillosis Centre Education and Research Centre University Hospital of South Manchester (Wythenshawe Hospital) Southmoor Road Manchester M23 9LT UK www.life-worldwide.org www.gaffi.org www.nationalaspergillosiscentre.org.uk www.mycologymanchester.org www.aspergillus.org.uk www.cadre-genomes.org.uk E-mail D.email@example.com